Students and staff at Lee Middle & High School were evacuated this morning due to an unidentified odor. Emergency first responders were immediately called in to determine the type and cause of the odor. School staff moved the high school students to Lee Street Church (thank you, Pastor Kent Rottman) while the middle school moved into the 6th grade campus.
Trained responders searched the entire school building while administrative and maintenance staff worked to open windows and doors for ventilation. While it was determined the odor was strongest in or near the boys locker room, no exact source could be located. From the reactions experienced by staff and first responders, it appears it may have been caused by someone releasing pepper spray, a non-toxic irritant. It dissipated within an hour and the building was cleared by emergency personnel for students and staff to return.
We are reviewing our surveillance camera tapes and keeping an ear open for any information that might lead to the individual or individuals who may have caused this incident. In the meantime, classes will continue for the rest of the day as normal. We appreciate the great support we received as usual from our Wyoming Safety Department.
We take the safety and well-being of our students, staff and visitors to our schools very seriously and will always error on the side of precaution in situations like this.Bringing any foreign substance into a school building that may harm individuals and disrupt the normal educational process is not only a serious discipline issue but a crime, and if it’s determined that any of our students were involved in this type of behavior, they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.