In just a few short weeks, the Strong Schools, Strong Communities proposal will be on the ballot. If approved, this 10-year, 0.9 mill increase for a regional enhancement millage will allow local school districts to strengthen our future workforce and develop and attract strong talent right here in West Michigan.
If approved, the proposal will allow local districts to:
- Expand career training and technical course offerings that will give students real life, on-the-job training and a head start on their careers.
- Give students exposure to the world of work and business with partnerships that prepare them for careers.
- Give students living in poverty a good start, and surround them with the support needed to keep them in school.
What every taxpayer should know:
- By law, if this proposal is approved, every penny generated from this proposal will be distributed to local school districts to maintain programs and improve services for students. Our Board of Education has indicated we will dedicate 100% of the dollars raised from the enhancement millage to our classrooms for teaching and learning, with emphasis on supporting academic achievement K-12. This will include:
- Teacher Quality – attracting, retaining, and training highly qualified teachers
- Class Size – keeping class sizes lower at the K-6 level
- Math and Science (STEM) – providing program enhancements for achieving the county-wide 8th grade Algebra readiness goal
- English Learner Support – ensuring our youngest students become proficient on the WIDA test
- Curriculum materials such as textbooks and other resources
- Early/Middle College and Dual Enrollment tuition and fees
- If approved, all millage dollars will be publicly reported on our district’s website to ensure transparency and accountability.
- If approved, the proposed rate of 0.9 mills will cost the average home owner in the KISD region $6.70 per month ($3.75 in our district) with 100% of funds going to local schools.
- For Godfrey-Lee Public Schools, if approved it will generate an approximate $415,000 annually beginning this next school year.
Please share this information with your friends and family so they are informed about what’s on the ballot Tuesday, May 2, 2017.
Learn more at: strongschoolsstrongcommunities.com